Sunday, September 8, 2013

Haiku Deck Helps Build Vocabulary



Morgan's last post prompted me to share one of my favorite apps I use to help and develop vocabulary in all subject areas. Last year and this past summer, I had the pleasure of meeting some pretty awesome Haiku Deck guru's in San Antonio during my ISTE Tech Conference this past July. It is a more sophisticated way to present information like in a powerpoint but Haiku Deck has a strong image gallery that helps with the decks you build. So here I will share how I have used it and how you can incorporate it in your classroom:

  • Download the app from the iTunes store (free)
  • Once downloaded, one needs to explore and become familiar with the components ( I can give you a one on one tutorial)
  • Each Haiku Deck that you build can be titled according to skill or lesson. For example, if you are studying -ing words then your deck would be titled "-ing words". 
  • Brainstorm a list of -ing words and type them into a new slide and so on. You can add a background image using the gallery if you would like to add some pizazz to your deck. 
  • Students can open each deck and recite the words as they go from slide to slide. 
  • Students can draw an example of the word in another app titles "Doodle Buddy" (free) and take a screenshot of the picture, save to camera roll and upload the image in Haiku Deck as the background. This is one way to build vocabulary in all subject levels and this app is part of my Daily 5 rotations.

The students have built their own decks using math vocabulary, science and sight word recognition. Students save all their images they have created on their camera roll but in a one iPad classroom, you could have each student draw an illustration as you pass the iPad around and save it to the camera roll. Once the deck is created it will stay there until you delete it. Haiku Deck's can be published on Homework online, Twitter, Facebook ( see me) but you must create an account with Haiku Deck online (can be done on your iPad or lap top). Next week, I will share another favorite app to help with vocabulary development. 

1 comment:

  1. Oooo...I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete